Tidings

60 Years in our Sanctuary

60 Years in our Sanctuary

By Gloria Colvin, Chair of the Bicentennial Publicity Committee

May 3, 2024 marks the 60th anniversary of the first service held in Trinity’s current sanctuary.  It was built on the same site as two of Trinity’s previous churches. The 1893 church was used for almost 70 years and had been renovated several times. By 1960, it was clear that the building was deteriorating structurally, and committees were appointed to begin planning and raising funds for a new building. Payne H. Midyette chaired the Building Committee, which engaged A. Hensel Fink of Philadelphia, a well-known church architect, to develop plans for the building.  

Dr. Glenn James, pastor at the time, agreed to remain until the new church was completed, but he died suddenly in February 1962. Dr. H. Melton Ware was appointed to serve as the next senior pastor, and he continued to see the project through to fruition. Albritton-Williams was hired as the contractor for the project, which included the sanctuary, fellowship hall, four classrooms, parlor, offices, and chapel.  The Willet Studio of Philadelphia designed, fabricated, and installed the gilded stained-glass windows in the sanctuary.  

The last service in the 1893 church was held in July 1962.  During construction of the new church, services were held at Opperman Music Hall on the Florida State University campus. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on May 3, 1964 with Bishop Arthur J. Moore delivering the sermon and consecrating the church.  The chapel to the right front of the church was named the Glenn C. James Chapel in memory of the pastor who had led the initial planning for the new church.  

Header photo: Signing of the contract for the construction of the church.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Print